Benefits of organic matter
• Improves physical properties:
– Facilitating soil management for ploughing or seeding
– Increasing moisture retention capacity of soil.
– Reducing the risk of erosion.
– Helping to regulate soil temperature (edaphic temperature).
– Reducing water evaporation and regulating moisture.
• Improves chemical properties:
– Supplying macronutrients such as N, P, K and micronutrients.
– Improving cations exchange capacity.
• Improves biological activity:
– Providing organisms (such as bacteria and fungi) capable to transform insoluble matter into plant nutrients and degrade harmful substances.
– Improving soil conditions and providing carbon to keep biodiversity of micro and macro fauna (earthworms).
Other additional benefit of composting is the reduction of bad odour from rotting and elimination of vectors such as insects and rats. It also has a very important role in the elimination of human pathogens, food contaminating bacteria, and also weed seeds and other unwanted plants